Wednesday, December 4, 2019

My Bible School Adventure

  On November 3, a red Buick Century pulled into our driveway, signaling the beginning of an adventure! Grace Vermont & I were headed to PA for a week of Bible School.
  After stopping at Beacon of Light for church, we continued on our way, finally arriving at Paul & Laura Lloyd's house at around 11:00 P.M. Lugging my heavy suitcase upstairs was a feat; I don't know how to pack lightly, and probably never will! Two other girls were already asleep on an inflatable mattress in the same room when we arrived; Grace & I slept in a bunk bed.
  The next morning, as the others got ready, I asked one of them if she was a Lloyd. She said, "No, I'm Rebecca."
  "Rebecca who?" I asked.
  "Rebecca Sidor," was her reply.
  "Oh, I know who you are! I know your sister, Elizabeth!" I exclaimed.
  "Are you Courtney?" she quizzed. When I nodded, she said, "Elizabeth and Jaleesa (another of my friends) are sleeping in the next room. I'll go get them." And she was off.
  When they came in the room, we were all delighted to see each other. I had prayed tentatively before I came, that maybe God could arrange for us to stay at the same place, but I didn't expect it to actually happen! And, with no planning from any of us, it happened!
  After breakfast, we, and the rest of the BS students staying there/living there, piled into car and van to begin a week of Bible School.
  The first day seemed strange and unfamiliar--a huge building, with 200-some students, most of whom I had never met. But as the week progressed, I became used to the routine.
  There were four messages preached basically every day, covering such topics as A Way of Escape, taken from I Corinthians 10:13, or practical applications to a Christian youth's life, such as in the area of evangelism. Mark Miller preached on that topic, and he had two $100 bills, one for a young man, one for a young woman. Whoever wanted to could take it, with the understanding that it would be used for evangelism, whether it be Bibles, or tracts, etc.
  Saturday mornings are reserved for shopping, or sleeping in...I chose to go shopping with some other girls. Our first stop was Good's, which is right in the same area as Shady Maple Smorgasbord. We were cheap, though, and went to Burger King for lunch, using coupons. :)
  I did make some new friends, but I did have trouble not feeling like a wallflower. I kept using the excuse, "I'm not a social butterfly," and not getting out of my comfort zone more to meet new people. Sometimes I'd just sit in the chairs in the back, feeling sorry for myself. :) But maybe if I attend next year, everything will seem more familiar to me.
  Grace and I left for home on Monday morning. Once we got into Maine, it didn't take too many hours before it started snowing. Grace was driving along the highway, when suddenly, she started weaving in and out. I wasn't sure what she was "trying to prove" at first, but I soon realized she had lost control of her car when we spun around and backed into the grass beside a rock wall! We stopped with only 2" between the back of the car and the wall.
  Grace called for assistance, but a few people stopped, willing to help us. A man tried to drive the car out of the ditch, to no avail. Eventually, after Grace's phone call, a tow truck and a policeman showed up. The tow truck driver pulled us out with little trouble. The policeman advised us to stop somewhere for the night, which we did...for two MORE nights! :)
  I've been home for a few weeks now: what was my perspective of my trip? Well, I think it was a worthwhile experience, overall. I enjoyed singing in the choir, made up of all 200+ students; you can listen to former years on YouTube. The new videos should be posted in another month or so.
  Would I advise you to go? Yes, I would! Just don't end up being a wallflower, feeling sorry for yourself...be a bird, flitting here and there, enjoying yourself, as a friend advised me.
  And if you do go, be prepared to come home changed, in some way or other--you'll become as close to God as you want to be!



4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog post about Bible school; I am glad that everything worked out so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see your new blog Courtney! It was good hearing about your time at Bible School; and it made me wish more to go again someday too.
    I'll be looking forward to your next post.=)
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that story sounds familiar!

    ReplyDelete